Who’s your buddy?
June 20, 2016 § 5 Comments
People are different when they are on a bicycle, and it’s often difficult to know when someone is your friend or not. The guy who buys you a beer, picks up the tab, and helps you change a tire may well be the same dude who pours you through the meatgrinder, smiling.
Here are some things to look for when trying to decide whether you’re friends or foes.
- Tows you to a new Strava KOM? FRIEND.
- Takes one of your only two Strava KOM’s the next day? FOE.
- Shares his team’s secret strategy for tomorrow’s race? FRIEND.
- Uses a completely different strategy on race day? FOE.
- Offers to let you use his girlfriend for hand-ups on blazing hot day? FRIEND.
- Girlfriend “forgets” to hand you a bottle? FOE.
- Lets you sit on his wheel in a hard breakaway? FRIEND.
- Gaps you out so you both get dropped? FOE.
- Convinces you to sit at the back because “huge field, no break rolling today, save it for the finish”? FRIEND.
- Initiates and makes the winning split while you’re 98 wheels back? FOE.
- Leads you out? FRIEND.
- Takes you into the curb on the final turn? FOE.
- Buys you coffee? FRIEND.
- Buys you donuts? FOE.
- Invites you on “no-drop, fun ride”? FRIEND.
- Leaves you for dead 87 miles from home? FOE.
- Convinces you to try a bike race? FRIEND.
- Convinces you to try for a pro career? FOE.
For $2.99 per month you can subscribe to this blog and find out who loves ya, baby. Click here and select the “subscribe” link in the upper right-hand corner. Thank you!