Are you riding too much?
February 6, 2017 § 24 Comments
You know who you are.
More importantly, you know how your legs feel right now.
Yeah. You, who don’t race for a living, are trying to figure out how to get through your Super Hangover from being on your bike all day yesterday. And the day before.
You know, that string of days that put you at more than 300 miles for the week with some crazy amount of elevation.
Has it occurred to you that, at age 40-whatever, you’re riding too much?
Okay, I can already hear your answer. “TOO MUCH FOR WHAT?”
And that’s a good answer, because on the Internet the best defense is all caps. But you have a point. Too much for what?
Let’s drill down, shall we? I’d make a flow chart but those are too difficult. So here’s a handy self-diagnostic quiz:
- I ride more than 200 miles a week and I’m not paid for it. T/F
- I’m tired. T/F
- I ride when I’m tired. T/F
- I’m too tired for sex. T/F
- After I ride, I do things I have to do but I do them tiredly. T/F
- My thighs ache right now. T/F
- My back aches right now. T/F
- Every time I get ready to ride my bike I have to climb a small mountain of tired to get dressed,air up the tires, and roll out the door. T/F
- No matter how tired I am (like right now) I always make the group ride, after which I’m even more tired. T/F
- Being tired feels bad but not riding feels worse. T/F
- I feel guilty because I’m too tired to talk to my family, but I feel guiltier if I don’t ride. T/F
- I’m pretty sure that being tired helps me lose weight. T/F
- If you’re not tired you aren’t riding enough. T/F
- “Too tired legs” can only be overcome with a quick 2-hr. spin. T/F
- Other people ride a lot more than me and they’re not tired. T/F
- Tired is a state of mind. T/F
- Rest is what happens when your competition quits working. T/F
- I can recover with a good hard run. T/F
If you answered “True” to any of these except the first one, here’s some advice: Up the mileage. You’re clearly not tired enough.
For $2.99 per month you can subscribe to this blog and get none of the news that’s fit to print but all the news that’s fun to read. Click here and select the “subscribe” link in the upper right-hand corner. Thank you!