December 28, 2018 § 5 Comments
It is easy to tell people to get it together when the New Year rolls around. But somehow resolutions never seem to work.
So I figured this year that instead of platitudes I’d offer up some concrete examples. Pick any one of these and stick with it for even a week or two, hell, even a day, and you can chalk up 2019 as a win. A big win.
- Be like Dave Wehrly. Take the brutal things life gives you without complaint and maintain your decency, generosity, and sense of responsibility to others.
- Be like Emily Georgeson. Compete like hell, take the victory with a humble smile, and compliment the other person when they win.
- Be like Rahsaan Bahati. Don’t be afraid to take the longest, hardest pull.
- Be like Cheryl McQueen. Give back.
- Be like Greg Leibert. Keep doing it the right way.
- Be like Michelle Landes. Let people know they are special and you love them.
- Be like Marvin Campbell. Help the world laugh, and call bullshit for what it is.
- Be like Daili Shang. Go to new places, learn new things, and excel at them.
- Be like Ken Vinson. Do what you say you’re gonna do.
- Be like Nevrik Gevrykian. Support your partner to the hilt.
- Be like Geoff Loui. Welcome people into your home, even cyclists.
- Be like Yasuko. Don’t be afraid to be yourself, even if it means riding in tennis shoes.
- Be like Baby Seal. Make other people the star.
- Be like Sherri Foxworthy. Never, ever fear the word “fuck.”
- Be like Elijah Shabazz. Be a true friend.
- Be like Surfer. Fit or unfit, hairy or smooth, finish the ride with a grin.
- Be like Lisa Clayton. Share your gift.
- Be like Lily Konsmo. Put up with the same old biking stories and do it with class, even when you don’t bike yourself.
- Be like Dave Jaeger. Talk plenty of shit, and back it up with legs of steel.
- Be like Ava Seyranian. Keep at it until your stuff is good enough to be exhibited in a major museum.
- Be like Charon Smith. Keep getting better, and turn out enough watts to fuse the cassette to the freehub body.
- Be like Kristie Fox. Let the boys win every once in a while.
- Be like Marco Cubillos. Sit on the front even when it’s windy AF.
- Be like Jami Brauch. Treat people with kindness and respect.
- Be like Evens Stievenart, Rudy Napolitano, and James Cowan on the Big Day. Put everyone to the sword, and wash it down with beer.
- Be like the Flawless Diamonds. Make a difference in people’s LIVES.
- Be like Chris Tregillis. Give your friends an attaboy when they need it. And when they don’t.
- Be like Deb Banks. HTFU.
- Be like Boozy P. Pull over, get off your fuggin’ bike, and fix the other person’s stupid mechanical even when you are completely bonked, in a foul mood, and still 50k from home.
- Be like Tink. Ride guys off your wheel.
- Be like Eric Hallander. Proofread it, even when it’s not yours.
- Be like Jess Cerra. Embrace adversity, then kick its ass.
- Be like Nelson Vails. Inspire people.
- Be like Kris Prinz. If you’re going to bother to do something, do it great.
- Be like Craig Leeuwenburgh and Bob Spalding. Look out for others.
- Be like Chris Gregory. Ditch the fuggin’ helmet.
- Be like Gus Bayle. Put your kids first.
- Be like Christine Marckx. Have the patience of a saint.
- Be like Joe Yule. Get back up.
- Be like Nancy Linn. Make people better.
- Be like Gary Cziko. Advocate like hell.
- Be like Lauren Mulwitz. Ride the NPR like it fuggin’ matters.
- Be like Robert Efthimos. Always do more than your share, especially when you’re shoveling shit.
- Be like Suze Sonye. Don’t take no crap from nobody.
- Be like Vlad Luskin. Always have a funny-ass retort.
- Be like Kate Wymbs. Go very, very fast on your bicycle.
- Be like Dan Chapman. Turn your pain into art.
- Be like Major Bob. Say exactly what you think, leave the sugar coating to Betty Crocker, don’t hold grudges, and be fair to a fault.
- Be like Trump. Just kidding. Don’t.
The list goes on and on, look around and you’ll see what I mean … Click here and select the “subscribe” link in the upper right-hand corner. Thank you!